Skip to main content

Transit Insurance

Get a QuoteMake a Claim


Transit Insurance covers the movement of goods from one location to the other including for interim storage. When the goods are transported within the Maltese Islands they would be insured under a Goods In Transit policy. When they cross borders by sea, air, road or rail they would be insured under a Marine Cargo Insurance policy.

What's Covered

Subject to the provisions of the respective policy wording, the insurance will generally cover you for loss or damage to the Insured Cargo caused by or attributable to:

  • Loading and unloading risks
  • Theft
  • Impact by vehicle or fork lifter
  • Fire
  • Shifting and water ingress during Storm
  • Derailment
  • Overturning of vehicle
  • Sinking of carrying vessel

Key Contacts

Malcolm Ellul

Associate Director

MInstSMM, ACII, AMBCS, AMIM - Chartered Insurance Practitioner

Frequently Asked Questions

What can be insured?

All merchandise and personal belongings as long as being of a lawful nature.

When does the insurance start and end?

Unless otherwise specified, the insurance starts from the moment the goods are set in motion to be loaded at the beginning of the voyage up to the time they are unloaded at a designated facility nominated by the Insured at the end of the voyage.

On what value are the goods insured?

On their estimated replacement cost at the time of loss, generally being the purchase invoice value plus the cost of freight and incidentals less a percentage for depreciation if the goods are not new.

Why would I need insurance if the carrier has their own insurance?

Cargo handlers are only responsible for their negligent acts and to pre-agreed limits. Most maritime incidents may not put the carrier at fault and the carrier would therefore not be responsible to compensate you for the loss or damage suffered. It is therefore always advisable to take out your own marine insurance policy.

What is generally excluded?

Losses caused by or attributable to:

  • Delay
  • Deterioration
  • Consequential losses
  • Loss of market
  • Inherent vice
  • Improper packing or stowing
  • Mysterious Disappearance

Can you take out an annual policy to cover all transits?

Yes, you can take out what is known as an annual Goods in Transit policy (for domestic carryings) or a Marine Open Cover policy (for international consignments) and you declare, usually on a monthly basis, the details of each transit you had in the previous month. This is usually the preferred insurance format for clients trading in frequent movement of goods.

Renew Insurance

To effect renewal you may:

Pay over the internet using BOV or HSBC Internet Banking and quote the payment reference appearing on your renewal notice

Call on +356 234 33 234 and provide us with your Credit Card or Debit Card details

Send a cheque payable to Mediterranean Insurance Brokers (Malta) Ltd. by post

Visit our offices and talk to one of our advisors